LE CREUSET CAST IRON 33CM SIGNATURE ROASTER
Piri Piri Chicken with Roasted Baby Potatoes & Peppers – Serves 4
Chicken portions marinated in a smoky paprika and fresh chilli rub, roasted together with skin on new potatoes and chunky cut peppers. This simple to prepare meal is perfect for the family, roasted in around 30 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes + 25 – 30 minutes in the oven
4 x chicken portions on the bone
1 x medium whole chicken (approximately 1.5kg / 3 ½ lb) cut into quarters
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
600g (1lb 5oz) small new potatoes
2 red and 2 yellow peppers – cut into chunky pieces
Fresh oregano or parsley to serve
Salt to season
4 long red chillies, mild to medium heat – seeds removed and roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic – chopped
25g (1oz) root ginger – chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoon lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 220°C / Fan 200°C / 425°F / Gas Mark 7
- Make several diagonal deep cuts through the skin and meat of each piece of chicken. This will allow for the rub to penetrate the meat and the heat to reach the bone speeding up the cooking time.
- Put the spice rub ingredients into a mini processor and blend to a smooth paste. Place the scored chicken portions into a bowl, pour in the rub and coat the meat well pushing the paste into all the cuts. Set to one side and leave to marinate for at least 15 – 20 minutes.
- Whilst the chicken is marinating set a pan of lightly salted water on the hob and partly cook the potatoes for 4 – 5 minutes. Drain and set to one side.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the roaster over a low to medium heat on the hob. Lift the chicken pieces from the marinade, shake off any excess back into the bowl and retain it for later. Add the chicken pieces to the hot oil, sear on all sides then remove them on to a plate. This will take 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add any retained marinade to the roaster, tip in the drained potatoes, the chopped peppers and coat everything in the pan juices.
- Return the seared chicken pieces to the roaster, pushing them down into the vegetables. Season well with salt and place into the oven to roast for 25 – 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle over some freshly torn oregano or parsley and serve the one pot meal in the roaster.
Chillies can vary greatly in heat, taste a little before using to gage the heat and adjust the quantity used. To increase the heat, include some of the seeds.
By searing the chicken pieces in the roaster, it allows the roaster to heat up reducing the amount of time in the oven and saves on washing up too.
Chickens vary in shape and size, which means some can take a little longer to cook than others. To test whether the chicken is cooked through stick a knife into the deepest part of the chicken and if the juices run clear it is cooked. If not return to the oven for 5 more minutes and test again.